My son starred as Billy Flynn in Chicago over the weekend. I took video of his three big numbers.
(Quality: taken with my iPhone from the back half of the theater, surprisingly not horrible, but not flawless.)
We Both Reached For The Gun (live, this number brought the house down)
Razzle Dazzle (This one is stuck in my head) http://youtu.be/J3heVAVjyuo
All I Care About Is Love
My son, the actor. I like the way that sounds. A week or so ago he was nominated for an EMACT (Eastern Massachusetts Association of Community Theaters) DASH award. DASH stands for “Distinguished Achievement and Special Honors”. That sounds impressive, no? It is. I cried like little baby.
These are the Individual Performance categories. Michael, at 15, was nominated in the Best Youth Actor category, against every other under-18 boy in any production under consideration by EMACT.
I’ve been in awe of my son’s talent for years now, but you always wonder if you’re just blinded by being his parent. This is independent confirmation that I’m not one of those American Idol moms at auditions telling her tone-deaf child “they don’t know talent when they see it!” When I say he’s really very good, I am not the only one who thinks so.
My son left his phone at home today. I spotted it in the bathroom after he’d left for the bus, and I felt the cold dread on someone who would go fetal in the same situation.
He texted me with minutes from a friend’s phone as I was getting in the car and asked me to bring it to the high school.
“You don’t need it anyway.”
“I like to have it in case of emergency.”
“Use the phone in the office in case of emergency.”
Wise words followed, that I’d like him to live by every day:
“I’ll just be every careful to not cause or be in an emergency.”
My kid and I stopped by KFC in town. They normally suck at a molecular level when you go inside, so we tried the drive-through.
Here are some things actually said in the car during our adventure.
- How does “grilled” anything serve as a valid substitute for extra crispy?”
- How many legs and thighs do you need to order to equal the meat in a 2-piece breast meal?
- Oh my God, the woman working the drive thru window is walking across the parking lot!
- We’re going to be sitting here the rest of our lives. “So, what’s it like, living in a KFC parking lot?”
- She’s taking so long they’re going to run out of legs. At that point, I’m going to kill her.
- You could stab her in the neck with a soldering iron. And then turn it on.
Best worst wait ever.